From reducing the appearance of fine lines to preventing wrinkles, correcting hyperpigmentation to unclogging pores and clearing acne, Retinol is THE Holy Grail of the skincare world and therefore the ingredient we should all be incorporating into our skincare routine! Yes, even those with sensitive skin!
Few, however, understand this powerhouse ingredient and many have their concerns, after all, retinol is very active so if used incorrectly can be known to cause the skin to react! So it is essential to understand how and when to use it.
If previous experience has left your skin looking red and dry or you haven’t tried retinol before because you’ve been too scared, Beauty Collective has a trusted solution that we promise will work for you. But before unveiling our top 4 retinol products, here are a few necessary tips you should abide by;
- Introduce the product slowly – apply it only at night, one or two times a week for the first week and gradually increase application.
- Retinols are best applied at night, particularly because it makes your skin more photosensitive.
- Ensure you wear sunscreen during the day when using retinol (you should be wearing sunscreen everyday whatever the reason though!)
- Allow the product to fully absorb into the skin (this could take up to 30 minutes) before layering any other products.
- Just make sure to use any acne-fighting products (i.e. anything that includes benzoyl peroxides or salicylic acid) on the nights you don’t use your retinol product.
- Give the product time to work its magic. This could take a few months but the results WILL be worth it. We promise!
- Prepare for the inevitable adjustment period your skin will go through before you see the results you want.
- Because retinol causes the skin to shed cells faster than normal, you’ll likely experience a few weeks of change to your skin including some flakiness and dryness.
- Retinol is NOT recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
To get started, depending on your skin type, here are our recommendations;
If you are susceptible to oily or blemished skin and want to reap in the multiple benefits of retinol while keeping acne at bay, we highly recommend Vie Collection’s Retinopur Intensive Retinol Mask. Formulated with retinol and other targeted ingredients including Kaolin – a white clay which not only helps draw out impurities as well as absorb excess oils, it adapts to all kinds of skin even the most sensitive and reactive. Within a month you’ll notice a visibly clearer and mattified complexion, pores will be tightened, skin texture refined and smoother!
Taking advantage of the powerful benefits of Micro- Retinol®, Glycolic, and Lactic Acid, Medicalia’s L Retinol Smoothing Cream is a must for those with photo-damaged skin. This resurfacing and lightening cream provides a stabilized, deeply absorbing Retinol for optimized regeneration and resurfacing while lightening and reducing accumulated keratin for smoother and brighter skin.
For those with advanced signs of aging – wrinkles, loose and sagging skin, and uneven skin tone or dark spots, Pevonia’s Micro-Retinol Essential Moisturiser is your go-to! This powerhouse product (and range!) is the perfect all-rounder! Formulated with Retinol, Hyaluronic, Squalane, and Marine Collagen, it deeply hydrates, smooths, brightens and firms! Best results when used in conjunction with Pevonia’s Micro-Retinol Essential Serum.
If your skin is prone to sensitivity and irritation but you really want to give retinol a try, you need to pick your product with care. Vie Collection – Retinopur Wrinkles Imperfections Fluid will be a great solution for you! While retinol is the main ingredient, it is encapsulated therefore limits tolerance risks and boosts the effectiveness of the retinol which is released gradually. Just remember to introduce it very slowly, 2 nights the first week, 3 nights the second week and so on.
What to learn more about retinol and what it is? Check out our blog.
Autumn… The perfect time to rejuvenate.
Purchase Micro-retinol cream or serum and receive a full size Micro-retinol cleanser for FREE!